Saying you’re a single parent when you are not is like saying you’re handicapped when you have merely a sprained ankle;
Your temporary inconvenience does not equal my everyday struggle.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

He Didn't Have to Be

I had a friend ask me yesterday, "will you let K call someone else dad or let your "husband" adopt her?"

I had never taken it into too much consideration before, so I couldn't answer her as thoroughly as I would have liked.
Dating as a single mom is probably going to be one of the hardest things I have ever done. Sure, giving birth is up there, but that was only a day-long venture.

I'm sure I will eventually find "Mr. Right", but until I know someone is THE ONE, K will more than likely know him by his first name. What if he wants to be her father-figure or take an even bigger step and adopt her? How do you transition the word "daddy" into a toddler's vocabulary?

That scares the hell out of me.

My friend that initiated this conversation told me that I'm all K needs, which is true. But I don't intend on staying single the rest of my life. I'd like to eventually get married and have a couple more children. So that's basically what got me thinking more about this..
I don't want K to call my husband by his first name, and our other children call him "dad" or "daddy", etc.

I guess I don't have to worry about this now, but its going to be one of those things that will always be at the back of my mind until I settle into a good, healthy relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment