Saying you’re a single parent when you are not is like saying you’re handicapped when you have merely a sprained ankle;
Your temporary inconvenience does not equal my everyday struggle.

Monday, October 10, 2011

These Are My Confessions

So, I've had a lot going on the past few weeks, and honestly.. I think I am finally ready to share my "story" with the world.

My daughter is my world. She always has been and always will be. No matter the circumstances.
I am the only biological parent in her life, and oddly, I'm okay with it.
I've had friend after friends tell me "get J for child support."
But why would I want someone to support a child they didn't want? How do you explain that to a young child? You can't sugar coat the words "your father doesn't want to be in your life, but he's giving you money." The hurt is still the same.

I haven't talked to too many people about J and I. There was never much to tell. We were friends, we had sex once, and I got pregnant. End of story.
When I took the first pregnancy test, I was disbelieving. I couldn't be pregnant. I was invincible.
So the next morning, I took my second test. Pregnant.
I took tests 3 and 4 when I went back to Missouri, after Christmas break. Then I finally went to the doctor on campus for an "official" test. Pregnant.

Wow, where do I go from here? I went and talked to J.
I told him, "I'm pregnant."
J said, "No, we have to fix this. I want it gone."
I started crying and left. So much for moral support, right?
He then text me, saying "get rid of it" and compared my BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER to a dog. He told me "this is a lost puppy that nobody wants. I sure as hell don't want it."

That next weekend, I went back home and broke the news to my parents. The reacted much better than I expected, but of course they were still upset.. I mean, how many parents wants their daughter to get pregnant before marriage? None, but they were supportive and told me that we could get through this and they would help me 110%.

I told J that I was keeping the baby. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
He then asked me to consider adoption. Wrong again.
After I said the baby would be born into my care, he then said he would do anything and everything he could to get custody, and would find some way to get "it" from me.

Well, that worked out so well, since the last time he ever spoke to me was when I was 3 months pregnant.
I had gotten my first ultrasound, and sent him a text saying "do you want to see the ultrasound pictures?"
His reply was, "no."

I went through my second and third trimester basically alone. I had friends and family, of course, but it wasn't the same. K was born on September 7, 2010, and when I saw her face for the first time, the Earth stood still.
How could I already love someone so much that I would be willing to give my life just to keep her alive? It's almost impossible to explain to someone, unless they are a mother as well.

K is my world. My heart and soul. Without her, I wouldn't be who I am today.

She and I have had a rough past two weeks, and for those of you that know why, I appreciate you listening to me and giving me advice. I know there is someone out there that will place her and I in their life as a priority, and I'm looking forward to that day. Until then, I will enjoy every second with K.
We've made it through a year, and I can't wait to see what the future brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment